Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Who says the French are rude?

As I've alluded to in some previous posts, I've had some success in meeting a few French people, despite living and working with Anglophones. My first point of contact was the little picnic under the Eiffel Tour with the group Pour Vous Paris, and through that meeting I arranged a language buddy named Laurent, and possibly another named Alice. Laurent is a very amiable, Vietnamese French man in his late 20s, and very patient with my attempts at explaining myself in French. We had a lovely dinner at a Japanese Restaurant on the Left Bank and then met up with one of his friends at a cafe - also very funny and pleasant. It was not the most exciting evening, but it was very French, and very enjoyable - just shooting the shit with two nice French guys. AND to top off our first meeting, Laurent demonstrated his extreme good manners by offering to help me move into my new apartment the next day, thus saving me about 20 euros for a taxi!

We are planning to do something again this weekend (possibly free salsa dancing on one of the bridges over the Seine) and one of my new roommates might join us as she's also hoping to practice her French. I'm also meeting the young woman I met through the 3 Colorado boys tomorrow for coffee/drink after work, so hopefully that will go well and I'll have another friend!

1 comment:

Luvbeers said...

The American view of the "Rude French" stems from the service they receive at tourist restaurants and/or France's policy not to agree with Washington's poppycock (for lack of a better term, but I think it's right on). French can be nationalists yes, but they are generally as accepting if not more so to foreigners than most places from my experience! Just keep in mind that this is actually Paris and not the Epcot Center or Las Vegas and be polite as if you are not in Kansas anymore, Toto! (say please and thank you in French at the very least!)