Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Creative property?

Apparently I arrived in Paris at a rather hectic part of the creative cycle and thus spent my first two weeks at work making detailed crystal motifs (prototypes, essentially) that we recently sent off to a factory in Hong Kong for mass production. Although not the most difficult work in the world, it was incredibly tedious and I was quite happy when we finished the motifs and began actual design work! At first it sounded like I would be working primarily on two projects more related to product design (at least in J's mind): a commission for Vidal Sassoon's fashion week hair show (but for clothing) and another involving designing a compact for a British cosmetics company. However, J. discovered that I "am quite a good drawer" (her words) and thus I have instead spent the last two and half days drawing detailed designs for her next women's collection. Overall it's been pretty enjoyable and she's been very happy with what I've produced, but after two days of drawing in the same general style, I'll be happy to do something else soon! Below are some pictures of what I drew and which will be sent to India on Friday to be translated into beads and sequins. On the one hand it's pretty cool to think that something I drew will be fabricated and sold, but on the other hand it's a little weird that I won't get any credit for it! I guess it's the way fashion works in general (Ralph Lauren, Versace, Galliano - none do it alone) but it's kind of bizarre for me since generally I make things that I wear or give to people - so it's always accredited to me. Oh well.

The first picture is of a large piece that will run up the front of a dress (right) and the other will become either (or both) a piece of skin jewelry or an embellishment around a neck line. The second is a close up of the skin jewelry necklace, and the third is a close up of the large dress piece. I've also sketched some smaller designs that we will use as patches, as well as a design for a purse.




No comments: