Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Flea Markets in Paris aren't so Flea-ey


Last Sunday I went to the Marche de Puce on the recommendation of my boss and some guidebooks, expecting an enormous flea market full of amazing treasures just waiting for someone willing to dig a little. Unfortunately, I found instead a giant flea market filled with thousand euro antique furniture, 150 euro bunt pans, and 80 euros dresses! The market was in fact about 12 smaller markets (both in and outdoors) spread over a huge area in northern Paris and contained tons of beautiful pieces, although I was disappointed that I didn't find more clothing vendors. The majority of the markets consisted of beautiful antique furniture or cheap modern goods a la Canal St. in NYC, so although it was definitely a worthwhile outing, it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for. Perhaps I'll return when I'm looking to furnish my chateau in the French countryside.


I did find one great deal though: a crepe filled with cheese, egg, mustard, and a sausage - all for 4.50 euros. Very delicious and very fulfilling after hours of walking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alix,
Very impressed with your drawings. Someday you will do your own designs and
get all the name credit!!
Hopefully you'll find flea markets and other shops this summer with real values. 'Til then enjoy exploring.
Karen