Monday, July 2, 2007

Shopping and Gay Pride?

Aside from moving into my new apartment, I had a very enjoyable and active weekend. On Saturday I decided to walk around the area known as Le Marais and filled with some of my favorite boutiques (that I've discovered so far). Although I'm a fan of window shopping in general, "Les Soldes" are on right now, so there was a chance I might actually buy something. Les Soldes happen twice a year throughout France and appear to be organized by either the government or some businness group, for literally every single shop in Paris (and in Lyon last winter) puts a good deal of their stock on sale. Generally, the discounts are significant - from 30-60% and often it includes stuff from the current season.

However, despite my excitement at the concept of a city wide clothing sale in arguably the fashion capital of the world, I quickly tired of the chaos. Nearly every store I walked into was filled with people and looking through the racks resembled a shoving match. In addition, the dollar is currently being stomped on by the euro, so I soon realized that an item discounted by 35% in Euros, was essentially full price in dollars - rather disheartening. I still plan to keep my eyes out, for Les Soldes continue through August, but the first week required a bit too much physicality for my shopping enjoyment.

Thankfully, however, I stumbled upon an enormous gay pride rally right as I was beginning to feel particularly tired of shopping. There is nothing like emerging from a quiet, residential street onto a large avenue filled with thumping European techno music, flares, rainbow flags, and scantily clad men (although sadly, the majority of attendees seemed to be hipster French youth) to pick up one's spirits! Although confused and a little scared at first due to police sirens and the flares, I realized I had no choice but to walk past the crowd, as they had gathered at the Place de la Bastille, right near my former apartment. I didn't particularly feel like gyrating to the music, but it was certainly a site to behold and a nice topper to my long day of "lecher les vitrines" (the French equivalent of window shopping, literally meaning "to lick the windows").


No comments: