Monday, June 25, 2007

Conincidences!

Well I've decided that Paris is the city of random conincidences, as I've experienced three very unlikely ones during my time in Paris. All have been quite pleasant, so I'm hoping they keep coming!

Number one: Last year, my friend Aisha and I were supposed to meet at a metro stop near the Eiffel Tower to drop off our large bags at an aquaintance's apartment before we travelled through Italy. We were both coming from completely different parts of Paris, both experienced trains that broke down while en route, and both were running extremely late. Yet somehow we ended up on the exact same car! I was already on the train and when the doors of my car opened at a stop along the way, who should be standing there but Aisha with her boyfriend and her giant suitcase! We both screamed in surprise and hugged immediately - it was a miracle.

Number two: In the last posting I mentioned meeting the British woman with whom I'm currently lodging at the Picnic for French and Foreigners. Very random, yet also very nice.

Number three: Now that I have a kitchen available to me, I decided to go down the street to the local supermarket (Monoprix) to pick up some food for dinner. As I was strolling the aisle with my basket, I made eye contact with two girls walking towards me. As we passed, I realized they looked vaguely familiar, but being that I was in Paris, I quickly discounted the resemblance. Yet when we passed again 5 minutes later, I realized that the two girls had gone to my high school and graduated a year after me. When I saw them look back at me again, we both asked simultaneously, "Did you go to Garfield?!?" We then had a nice little conversation and parted ways, both amazed at the odds of running into someone from 3 years and more than 5,000 miles away!

This place is nuts!

No comments: